...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Friday, May 28, 2010

The House Xavier Built

This is the house that Jack built.

This is the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.


This is the rat,
That ate the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.


This is the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.


This is the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.


This is the cow with the crumpled horn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.



Xavier is going to build a house when he grows up, so he says. Repeatedly. On a daily basis. And each week I listen to what started as a normal house turn into a conglomerate of his favorite things.

Week1:

"Mom, I'm going to build a house when I grow up and you can come live with me there ok?"
"OK dear."
"And Im going to put in secret passageways in every room!"
"Neat."

Week 2:

"Mom, you know that house I'm going to build and you're going to come live wuth me?"
"Yup."
"Well I think I'm going to make it into a giant hotel too! But I promise I wont charge you. You can come live in my hotel for free."
"Aww how sweet. Thank you."
"Well, maybe I'll charge you one penny... but for a whole week not a night!"
'Errr... ok"

Week 3:

"Mom, how big of an aquarium would I need to have a whale shark? Cause I decided in my hotel house with secret passageways I also want a giant aquarium where I can go diving with whale sharks!"
"I have no idea."
"Do you think Whale Sharks and Goblin Sharks get along? Cause I want Goblin sharks too. I love Goblin Sharks. Oh, and Moray Eels. Hey Mom, did you know that there are lots of different kinds of Moray Eels but only 5 are not dangerous? Want to hear them, Mom? Ok there is the......"

Week 4: 

" Mom, I need to make my hotel house and aquarium safe from tornados. Do you think I should build it 100 miles  underground, or should I make it out of metal that can withstand high wind speeds? Oooh I know! Mom, I'll do both! Yeah! Hey Mom, do you think that would be a good idea?"

Week 5:

"Hey Mom! You  know my house I want to build? The hotel underground made of steel and has a GIANT aquarium where we can go diving? I want to make it indestructible! You know, in case a nuclear bomb goes off. That way if it does I can tell my guests that they are safe, nothing to see here folks, go back to your regular business. What do you think, Mom? Think that would be a good idea?"



Next week is week 6. I'll be interested to see what he adds on then. Either way, I haven't the heart to tell him what he wants he better do his best in school and figure out a career that will give him the capitol to create his house just the way he wants it

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you haven't taken him to the Atlanta Aquarium, you should try to get there so he can see exactly how big of a fish tank you need to hold a wale shark :)

SPOILER ALERT: it's big.

SRM said...

haha do they have a whale shark there??? He would go mad with joy.