...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Friday, July 6, 2012

Back To School Shopping

I just got back from back to school supply shopping. For the first time ever, I had to shop for not one, but two kids. And while it was a little stressful trying to keep the boys under my watchful eye while perusing two lists, and I cringed when I saw the total at the check out line, and it might not have been noticeable to the naked eye, I was doing the happy dance.

Starting this Monday, I will have only one kid at home.

Do you realize what this means??? The implications of this event?

I don't even know. I haven't had to take care of one child during the day in over five years. I can't remember that far back, the day to day stuff that makes life. But even back then, I was dealing with a little Xavier who was showing all the signs of ADHD but was not yet diagnosed. Soren is nowhere near as hyper as Xavier was.

So this is brand new territory for me as a mom. And frankly, I can't wait to check it out.

I have all of these fantasies on what my days will look like once I only have one child at home during the day. I fantasize about getting my ass out to the library once a week for story time. I tried doing that earlier with Ashe and Soren and it was a bust. Soren was too young then to enjoy it, and Ashe hated story time. Of course, maybe I should also find those year long overdue library books to bring with me before we get serious about it.

I fantasize about dropping the older boys off at the bus stop, then popping on my bike with Soren in a cute trailer, and biking all over town. Of course, I don't have a bike, or a trailer, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming.

I fantasize about being able to take Soren kayaking in the morning, since I can't do that with multiple children and no J during the week. I CAN do it with one child though!!!

I fantasize about going out for hikes in the woods, looking for animals, finding cool leaves to bring home for a craft, and not listen to the older boys whine about bugs or being bored.

And for the first time in years, I don't have to carpool. The bus will actually pick them up right near our doorstep.i don't have to drag two whiny kids into the car twice a day, and keep them entertained while we wait for school to get out. That's going to save me a total of 90 minutes a day!! Oh my god what will I do with all of that time???



All of this went through my head as I tried to find enough yellow folders, and blue notebooks, and everything else the teachers wanted for their classrooms. All of these thoughts, these brazen ideas flashed through my mind as I battled for binders with other moms gearing up for school. And while I passed a few moms with multiple kids in their cart, I wondered if they too, fantasizes like I did, for this day to come? Did they also look forward to the time when they only had one child to take care of during the day? Did they look at that time as a sense of freedom, or as a moment in life when they had to let go of their kids and wonder forlornly what they would do until their precious child came home? Am I the only one who has to physically stop herself from giggling out loud once in awhile when I realize the time is nigh? Am I the only one who sees this as something to celebrate and not mourn over?


Nah. There's no way I can be the only one. There's got to be others out there doing the happy dance too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely!! Me! Me! Me! I celebrate it every year. It's not that we don't live our kid(s) but mothering is dang hard! So removing any portion of the kids from the equation makes it that much easier! I only have 2 but when the first went to school full time and it was just me and Nate... I partied! This fall both if mine will be in school. It will just be me at home. Don't think for a single second I'm not dancing my ass off!

Irish Carter of Dedicated 2 LIFE said...

I would love school starting up if it meant I could have more time to myself but unfortunately no go here. Bummer. I do know I keep hearing back to school shopping which means I better get my butt in gear and start so I am not fighting through the crowds with the rest of the last minute shoppers....uggghhh!

I loved your fantasies of your upcoming time - it was awesome.

Irish

Irish Carter of Dedicated 2 LIFE said...

I thought I left a comment but its not showing.....you are the second one I have read about school shopping so I guess I better get my butt in gear. Love your descriptive fantasies of how you plan to enjoy your childrens school year. Yeah!

Irish

SRM said...

Oh thank BOB Im not the only one!!
Irish, sorry about the delay on your comment. I had to switch settings because Im getting inundated with anon comments selling sex :p

One day left before Im freeeeeeeeeee!!!