...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years

I apologize for not blogging recently. It's hard to do so when you have a 15 pound baby strapped to your chest for a lot of the time due to not feeling good and just needing to be on top of mom in order to calm the tears. I tried a few times but I kept having my keyboard commandeered and was left with multiple lines of flhflshf.sgjs;dogujs.gs.jfgslujs and such.

Lots of great things have happened: my mom finally moved down and the boys and I drove over and helped paint her bedroom (Ashe painting houses and suns on the walls while Xavier tried to wheedle Grammy for money for helping. She held her ground and I'm proud of her). We had a wonderful Christmas. The boys loved their toys and J and I appreciated both the fact that we kept it small this year and that no toys we bought needed a chainsaw to open the packaging.

Soren is obsessed with mashed potatoes and gravy. And I do mean obsessed. I now have to make a potato or save some each night for him to maul and mash into his fuzz hair, and anytime he can grab a finger with gravy on it he ruthlessly shoves said finger into his mouth and greedily devours it until the finger is wrinkled.

Now today is upon us and it is New Years Eve. We have no major plans. We'll stay home, grab some Mediterranean take out (I promised Xavier he could have 2 baklava's tonight) and Xavier and I shall stay up to watch the ball drop while J and Ashe crash on the couch snoring in harmony. Soren will hopefully be oblivious to the fact that today even means something other than a regular day. But I have my doubts. He's too smart for his own good sometimes.

As for New Years Resolutions, I resolved long ago not to make any and it's worked this far. In fact its the only resolution I have kept for longer than a year. However this year I am breaking it to make one tiny resolution. I resolve to try and drink one glass of water for every cup of coffee I consume. I know its silly, and small, but its the small ones I have a better chance of keeping. And the amount of coffee I do consume I should be getting a healthy dose of H2O. I should also resolve to stock up on more toilet paper now that I think about it....

But other resolutions I think of...

I resolve to:

take one day at a time, and try to enjoy each one as it comes. And before I freak out on a hard day remind myself it's only one day.

remind myself that this lack of sleep is only temporary. One day I shall have my fantasy come true and sleep a full night uninterrupted.

Sneak attack the boys more often for kisses. One day they will look at me like I am the most embarrassing thing ever (and oh I plan on playing that role to the hilt!) and I wont get them as easily as I do now. I need to really store them up.

keep teaching my kids how to become independent in small ways. In other words I am really putting my foot down and refusing to make chocolate milk for my 7 yr old anymore. He knows where the ingredients are. He knows how to measure and stir. I'll be damned if he can make a steak but cant make himself a cup of chocolate milk. (this has become a recent point of contention between the two of us).

Pick up the Mantra "It's because he's 3, it's because he's 3" when Ashe starts to get that 'tude that comes with age.

Cuddle Soren to death but also try to not baby him too much when the time comes. I know I could easily fall into the trap of wanting to keep him little forever with him being my last baby. And he grows sooo fast! But I also have to make sure I don't hamper him down with too much. He does have to keep up with 2 older brothers after all.

And let me family know how much I truly cherish them, each and every one. My family, my brood, they are an amazing bunch. And I love them so much! Each one unique and special in his own way.

Enough sappiness. I can only take so much. Happy New Years everyone. May you have a wonderful 2010!

1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

heres to taking 2010 one day at a time!

ive been computer mia over the past few weeks with all the xmas build up. i owe you an email i havent forgotten I promise : )