...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Hate Halloween

Ok, not really. Actually I'd have to say it's one of my favorite holidays out there. I mean what other day of the year do you get to dress up in anything you want and get away with it PLUS get candy?!!!?! Win/win situation if you ask me.

However, I am getting tired of hearing about it. Nonstop. 20 times a day. From my 3 yr old. It's March, for crying out loud!!! We still have almost a full 8 months before Halloween is upon us again! Do I have to listen to my son chatter nonstop about Halloween all year long? Even for a hardcore lover of Halloween like myself, this is a bit much to ask.

An example of a conversation I have roughly every 15 minutes with Ashe:

"Mommy, this is Halloween?"
"No, Ashe this is Thursday."
"NO IT'S HALLOWEEN!"
"No, sweetie, it's Thursday and it's March. Next holiday is St Patricks Day."
"NO MOMMY NO! THIS IS HALLOWEEN!!!!"
"Sorry dude, it's not. Halloween was in October. It's not October anymore. We have a few holidays and many months to go before Halloween. We have St Patricks Day, and Easter, and Independence Day and..."
"THIS IS HALLOWEEN!!!!"

and he stomps off to sulk.

Part of this issue is that J decided to put on the song This Is Halloween" from the movie Nightmare Before Christmas" on a cd for the boys. And Ashe was addicted, hook, line and sinker. But I am not allowed to sing it when he brings up his adamant stance that today is Halloween. Oh no. I get yelled at.

"STOP SINGING MOMMY!!!"

I should be happy he isn't trying to wear his Spongebob Squarepants PJs as a costume to preschool or out to Target. I should be happy he isn't trying to wear his Yoda costume every day and beg for sweets before dinner. I should be mollified that he will take off his Batman winter hat indoors if I ask him to. In his little mind he gets that it really isn't Halloween.

But if I have to listen to this conversation daily for the next 8 months I may not need a costume for Halloween. I'll already be the perfect candidate as the Mad Hatter.

No comments: