...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Sunday, January 1, 2012

PSA: Sick Non Parental Units

This PSA goes out to all of you non Parental units:
In general being sick sucks. Your nose is stuffy, you get headaches, aches and pains. All you want to do is lie in your bed wishing the day would just go away. If it's bad enough you even call in sick to work.

BUT...  When you become a parental unit there is no such thing as calling in sick. Ever. There is no ability to go hide yourself under the covers and just wait for the day to go by. Nope instead you gotta crawl out of those covers, get dressed, make breakfast for the kids, make sure the homework is in the folder, get in the car, drive to school, come home, and take care of the other kids who are not school age.

I reiterate there is no such thing as a day off when your parent.

I was fortunate enough to get sick when my kids were at the grand parents for the weekend. And you know what? It was fucking heaven! No joke. I just had the best sick day I've ever had since my 9 year old boy was born. I lavished in the ability to call back under the covers when I wanted to. I could sit on the couch in my pj's all day long and watch tv while I skipped my tea. I could nap whenever I wanted to without having to worry about the house being destroyed. I had no kids clamoring for attention, no one whining for a snack. No fight to break up, no clashes to referee. It was just me my drugs my pj's and my tea.

I have decided that all of you non parental units are absolutely never ever ever allowed to whine complain when you're sick. You have no idea how easy you have it. I wish I could send my kids to my mom's house whenever I'm sick but that's not an option. This time was a fluke. And it was wonderful.

But if I ever hear any of you non parental units whining when you're sick, even if I love you, just understand I'm going to give you the finger. Because seriously you have no idea how good you've got it. Embrace your sick days, and raise your teacup in honor of us who don't get a chance to crawl back under the covers.

1 comment:

Big Fat Gini said...

I have nothing intelligent to add. I just really want to give you a virtual Hi-five and AMEN!

Oh and a feel better!