...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Soren Learns New Words

We have reached THAT stage in our house with Soren: the one where he knows his body parts, can say them, and certain ones he loves to say often and loudly. We've reached the crisis point too, because unlike the other boys, he has two older brothers who find this new found language hysterical, and Soren will do ANYTHING to make his brothers laugh.

It's great to see your little ones start to recognize body parts along with their own sense of self. But I swear I am going to bash my head on a wall if I see Soren saunter out of the bathroom one more time bare assed, grabbing his penis and loudly saying "MOM! PEE PEE! YEAH PEE PEE!!"




It's a hard balancing act, to try and not make your child feel that any of their body parts are taboo, while also explaining that grabbing ones crotch and calling it out so anyone in a three mile radius can clearly hear them is not a good idea. And it becomes harder when you have a 5 yr old and 9 yr old, who love potty humor, are sitting their laughing so hard they have tears streaming down their faces at each loud declaration of penis happiness.

And even I have to admit, the voice Soren uses when he does this is freaking adorable. He uses this bay like high pitched sound that makes the word pee pee sound really cute. I wish I could record it and post it here. BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

The point is, I am up to my ears in pee pee talk. I both love it and hate it for their own reasons. And I get through this knowing that it won't last, Soren is learning new words, and I will use this to embarrass the crap out of him when he brings home his future girl friends.




4 comments:

Heather McCurdy said...

It would be so hard not to laugh!! I have an 8m old girl right now and not sure how to even broach the conversation yet ...

SRM said...

It *is* hard not to laugh, but sometimes you have to hold it in and race to your closet for laughter safety if you ever want your child to learn there is a time and place =)
At 8 months, you have plenty of time before you have to worry. And trust me, you won't need to broach it to her. She'll show you when it's time to start naming body parts =)

Anonymous said...

Oh my word!I know you aren't supposed to laugh at them because it will just encourage them but it is so hard not to!!

Cheryl said...

Claudia has been continually talking about her 'butt cheeks'. I really struggled with teaching her the proper names for her female parts but stuck with 'girl parts'. It's funny to hear a little boy yell 'penis' but hearing a little girl talk about her vagina is still a bit unnerving. ;)