...my child sold your honor student the answers to the test...

Monday, April 9, 2012

Diet Update: Week One Complete

I promised last week that I would update on how my hardcore diet went, if I was good, if I cheated, and if it worked. So here I am, ready to spill it.

Let me preface by saying that I don't eat much in general. However, I learned this week that not eating at all, and only drinking shakes is very different. By day 2, when J heated up shrimp scampi, something I normally gag on when I smell it, I started drooling and dreaming of creamy shrimp. By day 6, as I boiled eggs for Easter egg coloring, I fantasized about eating them right out of the pot. Again, I normally don't like hard boiled eggs.

However, I did it. I stayed true to my diet of 1000 calories a day, mainly on shakes. Once in awhile if I found myself standing in front of the fridge, door open and gazing longingly at real food, I'd trade a shake in for something solid so long as it stayed within my limit and was healthy. This was to ensure I didn't break my diet and go crazy later. And it was smart, because I stayed true.

And on Sunday morning I weighed myself and lost over five pounds. It's a good start, and I'm happy with the progress. I realize most is probably water weight, and I can't expect such good results each week. But it's a beginning I can get behind.

The other positive change I noticed on Sunday was my appetite. I allowed myself to forgo shakes yesterday and ate when I was hungry. I celebrated with a chinese food dinner that evening and that's where I realized the most significant change: my stomach is shrinking. where before I could go for second helpings and have another plate later on at night, I found myself stuffed to the gills on a small plate, and stayed completely full until morning. Even when J heated up a plate of my favorite lo mein at 10pm, I had no cravings for more.

The last positive thing about this diet so far is that I have zero desire for chocolate. If anything, I feel chocolated out with all the shakes, something I never thought possible. While the boys feasted on three tons of chocolaty goodness yesterday, I only ate one tiny mini hershey's that was forced on me by Xavier, wanting to share his bounty. And I could barely swallow it. I only did so out of politeness.

Back to the week, I am going to try and continue this diet. I may add more actual meals in during lunch, courtesy of Lean cuisine, but still sick to my 1000 calories a day. I want to retrain my stomach to eat less in general, and keep my hunger for the day and not night time. I'll update next week!




8 comments:

Unknown said...

whoot! whoot! Girl! That awesome! Weeks 1 and 2 are always the hardest and you are totally past the first one. Way to go! Drink that water! Can't wait to hear how it goes this week. For what it's worth, I have the "don't eat much" problem as well. It sucks. It's hard to retrain yourself to break that habit. You're awesome!

Irish Carter of Dedicated 2 LIFE said...

Wow...that is awesome! I finally have my head ready to get healthy and lose some of this weight myself. You are very inspiring. Congrats.

Irish

ms.composure said...

Stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to show you some blog luv! def enjoyed this post!! good luck with your health and fitness goals!! new follower via email :-)

http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Helene said...

Wow, I'm super impressed!! Congratulations on the 5 pound weight loss! You have some amazing will power!

I can't function on less than 1200 calories. I'm just not a very happy person when I eat below that!

Keep up the great work!

SRM said...

Week 2 is proving to be much harder ugh

SRM said...

Awww thanks, Irish :)

SRM said...

Hi and welcome to my blog!

SRM said...

Thanks Helene!